More than 250 volunteers share their time and talents with Lotusland throughout the year, leading tours of the garden, staffing the Garden Shop, maintaining the grounds, and assisting with special events and office tasks. Lotusland always needs enthusiastic volunteers, eager to assist in the operation of this world-class garden. Volunteers are needed in various areas:
- Garden attendants welcome and support self-guiding visitors. Serving as the friendly faces of Lotusland, garden attendants serve an important role to help visitors feel welcome and safe during their visit. While walking the gardens, they greet visitors, answer basic questions, and serve as eyes and ears to alert staff to issues. They help to ensure the safety of visitors and the plant collections. All interactions with visitors are socially distanced, and masks are required the entire time for visitors and volunteers. Garden attendant shifts generally last 3 hours. No prior knowledge is needed, only a willingness to learn.
- Garden Shop Associates welcome visitors to the gardens and answer their questions. Training is provided. The Garden Shop is open Wednesday through Saturday, from mid-February to mid-November.
- Garden Volunteers work with gardening staff to water, weed, rake, dig, plant, and perform other garden tasks. Weekdays only.
- Office Volunteers perform general office and clerical work. Weekdays only.
- Special Event Volunteers help staff with meetings and special events.
- Special Project Volunteers are often needed on short notice for help with large mailings and with special projects.
Current Volunteers, log in here.
Interested in becoming a Lotusland Volunteer?
Please complete the form at the bottom of this page, or e-mail Kitty Thomassin, Volunteer Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org. After reviewing your application, you will be asked to interview in person with the Volunteer Coordinator.
Stories from those with meaningful relationships with Lotusland.
Eric Nagelmann, Landscape Designer.