Sustainable Horticulture Grant Manager
Title: Sustainable Horticulture Grant Manager
Classification: Temporary Part-Time, Non-Exempt
Reports To: Executive Director
Salary Range: $25.00/hour
Schedule: Flexible Monday – Friday, 9:00 a.m. -5:00 p.m. with regular meeting schedule (2x week)
Ganna Walska Lotusland is a 37-acre botanical garden and historic estate located in Montecito featuring a collection of over 3,000 plant species from around the world as well as historically significant Spanish Colonial Revival architecture. Since opening to the public in 1993, Ganna Walska Lotusland has grown to become one of the world’s premier botanical gardens and a center for sustainable garden practices, horticultural education and plant conservation. Ganna Walska Lotusland is a world-class cultural destination, as well as an important horticultural institution, in large part because of the dedicated people who bring their exceptional talent and expertise to work every day.
About the Position
The Grant Manager will document the goals and outcomes of the Sustainable Program at Lotusland. They will understand and interpret the history of the program, capture essential elements and best practices and parameters of the Sustainable Horticulture program practices, and document the experience of the long-tenured Sustainability Manager for institutional use and longevity. By studying the program documents (25%) and working with the program manager to interpret their decades of experience and knowledge (75%). The new Grant Manager will codify the information and translate it to create these deliverables:
- Clarify and document the necessary information to successfully implement Lotusland’s plant healthcare program for its future
- Produce a Technical Guide for internal program design and management and staff training,
- Create content for a new embedded website to promote Lotusland’s sustainable practices and provide practical tips for action at home or in other gardens.
This position will capture the knowledge and practice of the Sustainability Manager to coordinate deliverables for a Sustainable Horticulture Program Grant to document, memorialize, and ultimately share and celebrate Lotusland’s Sustainability program research the outstanding over the past thirty years.
Acts as working manager for the coordination and execution of the grant implementation within Lotusland and in concert with the Get Hooked partnership.
- Schedule and attend regular meetings with the Sustainability Manager and periodic meetings with the Get Hooked team.
- Capture regular reports and track outcomes of the Get Hooked Project with the Sustainability Manager.
- Draft the Sustainable Horticulture Technical Guide:
- Capture history and document contents of a new Technical Guide.
- Creates content of Technical Guide in MS Word and review and edits written transcript drafts as needed.
- Oversees Graphic Design of Technical Guide with Lotusland Creative Director.
- Ensure that Sustainability Manager has the opportunity to review and edit all the material.
- Work with Marketing Manager to publicize the program to demonstrate best practices and serve as a model for others.
- Coordinates Get Hooked fertilizer analysis outcomes and information sharing.
- Perform Sustainable Horticulture program content transcription and reporting.
- Ensure that appropriate media, marketing and press releases are developed with the Marketing Manager to promote this project regionally and nationally.
- Ensures that adequate and up-to-date records are maintained for preparation of mid-term and final funder report.
- Tracks expenses so as not exceed project budget.
- Prepare mid-grant and final report for funder.
Write article in the Lotusland Newsletter and for APGA Climate Toolkit to promote program outcomes.
Education and Experience
- Graduate training in technical research and writing, or similar educational or work experience.
- Experience in scientific research and subsequent distribution of information helpful but not required.
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team; multitask, manage complex projects, and meet competing deadlines; impeccable attention to detail.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills; ability to set priorities and achieve goals.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- General office environment with occasional time in the Garden
- Frequent work on computers (repetitive movement – typing)
- Frequent sitting, standing, walking, and bending with occasional lifting of light to moderate loads (10-25lbs)
To apply, please send a complete application including:
- Your resume
- Cover letter
- Three (3) references
Email appropriate documents and information to: HR@lotusland.org