Title: Sustainability Coordinator
Classification: Full-time (40-hour work week) non-exempt
Department: Grounds and Facilities
Reports To: Director of Gardens and Facilities
Salary Range: $25.00-$28.00/hour DOE
Schedule: Monday – Friday 7:00 a.m. – 3:30 p.m. with occasional evening and weekend hours
Ganna Walska Lotusland is a 37-acre botanical garden and historic estate located in Montecito featuring a collection of over 3,000 plant species from around the world as well as historically significant Spanish Colonial Revival architecture. Since opening to the public in 1993, Ganna Walska Lotusland has grown to become one of the world’s premier botanical gardens and a center for sustainable garden practices, horticultural education and plant conservation.
About the Position
The Lotusland Sustainability Coordinator reports to the Director of Gardens and Facilities and is preparing to assume the Sustainability Manager role in January 2024.
The role supports all aspects and implementation of plant healthcare and regenerative / sustainable programs in the Garden and educates the public and staff of regenerative / sustainable programs and works to improve habitat for biodiversity and wildlife management. They provide logistical support to other departments as needed to ensure the smooth operation of Lotusland. They use specialized knowledge in plant health care techniques to serve as a resource for all plant health issues on property.
The Sustainability Coordinator serves as an internal and external advocate for organic and regenerative plant health and educates staff and volunteers, provides public education by delivering online and in person lectures, talks and workshops. They will be a regular contributing writer for the Lotusland newsletter and other external publications.
Outreach & Research
● Serves as public and organization representative in the promotion of ecological and sustainable Garden practices and benefits.
● Develops and maintains professional relationships with industry experts, donors and members.
● Researches and develops new and current sustainable practices and soil biology management. Reviews scientific data as it relates to Lotusland’s sustainability practices.
● Generates reports when needed for funders, proposals, meetings, etc.
● Meets as needed with garden contractors to discuss best practices for plant care.
● Presents timely information at departmental and staff meetings.
● Meets with individual staff and the Grounds Supervisor as needed to provide cultural information as related to sustainable practices to advance knowledge and active application
Soil Fertility Management
● Approves all materials applied to the garden including amendments, fertilizers, pesticides, and schedules
● Tests soil, plant tissue, compost and compost tea. Gathers samples and packaging for shipment to a contracted laboratory.
● Monitors gardens and buildings, in conjunction with garden and facility staff, for pest and disease diagnosis and management.
● Train and evaluate staff on control methods of pests and diseases.
● Maintains and expands pesticide program in compliance with state and federal law.
● Creates and documents pesticide program.
● Keeps records and submits relevant Garden reports incompliance to the County.
● Attends classes and maintains Qualified Applicator License.
● Develops and implements installations of insectary and wildlife habitats in conjunction with Grounds and Curation expanding hedgerows surrounding property as time and resources permit.
Manager Job Responsibilities
● Accomplishes department objectives by managing projects, planning and evaluating department activities.
● Maintains staff by recruiting, selecting, orienting, sustainability assistant and summer interns (when applicable).
● Prepares, with the Sustainability Manager, the annual program budget draft.
● Ensures a safe, secure, and legal work environment.
● Facilitates and coordinates ordering of PHC materials and services.
● Proficient knowledge and skill in pesticide application practices. Must obtain a Qualified Applicator License (or trains to be licensed by January 2024)
● Associate degree, certificate in horticulture, or equivalent from an accredited program and 5 years’ professional work experience with an emphasis on IPM, grounds maintenance, horticulture and/or plant science. BS degree in biology preferred.
● Demonstrated and elevated level of proficiency in the performance of advanced skills required of a professional gardener, with a minimum of two years experience in a public garden.
● Must be able to follow both verbal and written instructions.
● Demonstrated ability to organize daily work schedule and complete work assigned.
● Requires a California driver’s license.
● Broad horticultural knowledge including basic understanding of trees, shrubs and herbaceous plants, and plant maintenance
● Perform regular repair and servicing to maintain the good condition of tools and equipment.
● Strong knowledge of plant health care, including pest/disease recognition and ecological approaches to control
● Understanding of OSHA Worker Protection Standards and regulations
● Use of computers, including familiarity with Microsoft Office Suite
● Ability to communicate via radio, phone/text and email.
● Ability to communicate basic and scientific information orally and in writing as well as understand written communication.
● Demonstrated skills and/or certificate, licensing in one or more of the following areas: arboriculture, pesticide handling and application, power tool operation, heavy equipment operation, tractor operation, irrigation management and distribution systems, general horticulture including soil/water relationships, plant identification, and safe work practices.
● The successful candidate must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. An exception to the COVID vaccine requirement may be provided to individuals for religious or medical reasons.
● Lotusland is committed to diversity and inclusivity, and we encourage qualified candidates from all cultures and communities to apply.
● This is a full-time, benefits eligible position.
BENEFITS: 100% employer sponsored paid health insurance for base HMO plan. Option to elect to upgrade health, dental coverage, vision. and life.
• 403(b) Retirement plan.
• 96 hours of paid vacation and sick per year, accrue in separate banks.
• 11 paid company holidays.
● Must be able to work in adverse weather and environmental conditions as well as uneven terrain.
● Must be able to lift and carry 50 pounds.
To be considered, please send a complete application:
1) your resume
2) cover letter and
3) three references with email contact information to: HR@lotusland.org