Human Resources Manager
Title: Human Resources Manager
Classification: Full-time, (40 hour work week)
Reports To: Director of Finance
Salary Range: $70,000-$75,000 DOE, Exempt
Schedule: Monday – Friday 9:00AM-5:00PM with occasional evening and weekend hours.
Ganna Walska Lotusland is a non-profit botanical garden in Montecito, California. The Garden’s mission is to preserve and enhance the unique, historic estate of Madame Ganna Walska, care for and improve its collections, and develop its conservation and horticulture programs, so they educate, inspire, and advance our understanding and appreciation of the importance of plants in our lives and in the life of the planet.
About the Position
Lotusland is looking for an experienced Human Resources Manager focused on tactical areas of HR including employee engagement, employee relations, compliance, and training and development. The position frequently interacts with administration, garden staff, and provides daily HR guidance.
The successful candidate will act as an employee champion and build rapport with employees and business partners, as well as demonstrate a clear understanding of confidentiality and professionalism. The HR Manager will serve as the contact for employees and answer questions regarding HR policies and procedures. The HR Manager will work in partnership with the Executive Director, Director of Finance, and other key personnel. This candidate will have thorough knowledge of human resources principles, industry practices, employment law, and regulatory requirements related to human resources policies and practices.
The Human Resource Manager will supervise one part-time Human Resources & Payroll Administrator who processes the bi-weekly payroll, maintains the employment records, oversees workers’ compensation compliance, and supports the onboarding and exit management process of personnel.
- Manages the recruitment process: collaborates with department managers to understand skills and competencies required to complete job descriptions for openings. Screen applicants, coordinates interviews with managers, perform reference checks, completes and extends offer letter to successful candidates.
- Oversees the onboarding and orientation of new hires. Work closely with the Human Resources & Payroll Administrator and ensure all employment documentation and benefits enrollment have been completed. Train new managers that oversee staff and support the orientation process.
- Maintains compliance with federal, state, and local employment laws and regulations, and recommended best practices; reviews policies and practices to maintain compliance. Update and maintain the Employee Handbook and make recommendations for policy or practice improvements. Oversee the Performance review process with management.
- Provides support and guidance to management and other staff when sensitive questions and issues arise. Mitigate risk by resolving employee relations and conflict issues.
- Maintains knowledge of trends, best practices, regulatory changes, and new technologies in human resources, talent management, and employment law.
- Analyzes market trends in compensation and benefits to comparable organizations, researches and proposes competitive base and incentive pay programs to ensure the organization attracts and retains top talent.
- Creates learning and development programs and initiatives that provide internal development opportunities for employees.
- Oversees employee disciplinary meetings, exit interviews, terminations, and investigations.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
- 3-5 years Human Resource management experience preferred.
- BA in related field; Human Resources Certification is desired.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality, discretion, and hold sensitive information.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Must be Microsoft Office suite proficient.
- Paylocity experience preferred.
- Ability to meet critical deadlines and work in a fast-paced environment.
- Must maintain a valid driver’s license and be insurable with company auto policy.
- Exceptional organizational and interpersonal skills, attention to detail, and accuracy.
Lotusland’s administrative offices are located in a historic 2-story estate located in a 37-acre garden.
- General office environment within the garden setting of Lotusland.
- Requires working outside during events and the ability to comfortably move around the garden.
- Frequent work on the telephone and computer (repetitive movement – typing).
- Frequent standing, sitting, walking, climbing stairs and bending with occasional lifting of light to moderate loads (25 lbs).
Only those meeting the minimum requirements and submitting all required information may be contacted for further inquiry. We will accept Letters of Interest and Resumes until the position is filled. No phone calls, please. Lotusland acknowledges that equal opportunity for all persons is a fundamental human value. Each employee will be considered on the basis of individual ability and merit, without regard to race, color, age, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, sex, or marital status.
Please send a complete application to be considered:
1) your resume
2) cover letter and
3) three references with email contact information to: HR@lotusland.org
Application Deadline is 12/19/22
For more information, visit www.lotusland.org