Facilities and Equipment Maintenance Assistant
Title: Facilities and Equipment Maintenance Assistant
Classification: Full Time (40-hour work week), non-excempt
Department: Grounds and Facilities
Reports To: Facilities and Equipment Maintenance Supervisor
Salary Range: $23 to $25 /hour
Schedule: Monday through Friday with occasional weekend hours
Ganna Walska Lotusland is a 37-acre botanical garden and historic estate located in Montecito featuring a collection of over 3,000 plant species from around the world as well as historically significant Spanish Colonial Revival architecture. Since opening to the public in 1993, Ganna Walska Lotusland has grown to become one of the world’s premier botanical gardens and a center for sustainable garden practices, horticultural education and plant conservation. Lotusland is seeking a full time Facilities & Equipment Maintenance Assistant to maintain and enhance our functional structures and equipment to provide a superior guest experience and functional daily operations. The Facilities & Equipment Maintenance Assistant performs semi-skilled preventive and corrective maintenance and repair work on equipment, buildings and outdoor features including ponds and pools. This role include a variety of facilities duties such as plumbing, electrical, painting, light carpentry, masonry, and light janitorial work as well as room set up and breakdown for events and meetings. Additionally, general repair and maintenance of our landscape tools and equipment including gas and electric powered tools, hand tools, and utility carts is a primary function. Detailed recordkeeping of maintenance performed throughout the property and working within documented processes, especially when caring for our garden sculptures, tiles, architectural features, and other artifacts is a critical requirement of the position. Lotusland is a place where plants and people thrive and we hope you will join our team of dedicated people who bring their exceptional talents to work every day.
About the Position
Under general supervision, to perform semi-skilled preventive and corrective maintenance and repair work on equipment, buildings and outdoor features including ponds and pools. Duties include plumbing, electrical, painting, light carpentry, masonry, etc., as well as general repair and maintenance of landscape equipment (hand tools, gas and battery-operated equipment and utility carts, etc).
• Responsible for maintaining the water features of the garden (i.e., fountains, pools and ponds).
• As assigned, performs preventive and corrective maintenance and repairs of grounds and facilities equipment (includes gas and electric powered small engine equipment, tractor, truck, etc.).
• As assigned, performs maintenance and corrective repairs of structures, utilities and related LL facilities (includes greenhouse/nursery facilities, garden hardscape features, offices, residences and storage areas, etc.).
• Trained on the operation and safety procedures pertinent to equipment and facilities maintenance tools.
• Maintains the garage/shop and storage areas in a clean and orderly manner. Responsible for trash, recycling and light janitorial duty on campus.
• Advises Facilities and Equipment Maintenance Supervisor of supplies needed fuel, supplies, etc.
• Coordinates the set-up, support and breakdown of tables, chairs, A/V, decorations, etc. for meetings, events, classes, photo shoots, etc.
• Assist the events staff as directed by the supervisor.
• On occasions, will supervise volunteers, community service workers, interns and contractors.
• Duties include occasional weekends and on call.
• Follows safety precautions and wears protective clothing when required.
• Monitors and helps trap rodents in buildings
• Keeps detailed reports of all maintenance performed
• Record keeping:
o Submits timely reports of observations, maintenance and practices
o Records all material usage
• Works independently and with garden staff and Facilities and Equipment Maintenance Supervisor
Essential Requirements (Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities):
• Is proficient in the safe and proper use of hand tools and power equipment.
• Properly maintains and stores tools and supplies
• Using best management practices in working with documented processes, correctly care for our non-living collection including but not limited to ponds and pools, tiles, the historic property, and its artifacts throughout the property.
• Must be able to lift heavy objects repeatedly, (50 lb. minimum lifting requirement)
• Must possess a valid California driver’s license
• Has pool certification or will obtain within 6 months of hire…LL will pay for the certification and hours to keep current
• The Facilities and Equipment Maintenance Assistant must be able to perform each requirement of the position as outlined in the job description.
Essential Requirements are representative and are essential for satisfactory job performance. The Work Environment characteristics are representative of those that may be encountered while on the job. Lotusland will make reasonable accommodations to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the position. Lotusland is an equal opportunity employer.
To apply, please send a resume, cover letter, and three references to HR@lotusland.org. no phone calls please.