Classification: Seasonal – mid-February to mid-November, part-time position (approximately 18 to 20 hour work week, depending on season), non-exempt.
Department: Visitor Services
Reports To: Director of Guest Experience and Member Services
Position Summary: Main responsibility is to manage the flow of traffic at the main gate and to be the front line for greeting and assisting guests, while also performing other visitor services tasks in cooperation with staff operating in Reservations, Visitor Center, Garden Shop, Membership and Gardens. Will also work closely with trained docents to help coordinate daily guest tours and overcome any unforeseen problems with guest visits. Will take the lead in addressing any emergencies involving guests and will assist in securing the grounds at the end of each tour day. Assist with Membership and Garden Shop administrative tasks, when time permits.
- Occupy the kiosk inside the main gate to provide the first line of hospitality and security for Lotusland.
- Perform all duties to prepare for the arrival of guests at the beginning of the day, such as: pick up electric cart, cash drawers for registers, unlock Visitor Center facilities, dust/wipe down benches, inspect the bathrooms for preparedness, inspect for and report any facilities or security issues, and handle any other issues that pertain the guest experience.
- Meet with Tour Facilitators and docents prior to guest arrival to confirm reservations and coordinate tours as needed.
- Distribute 2-way radios to docents and test the radios with the docents, and resolve any issues with the radios before the tours start. Issue keys, as needed, on Saturdays.
- Greet guests in a friendly, courteous and professional manner as they enter the gate, and clearly and accurately provide them with the information they need or request.
- Screen visitors to confirm their reservation, track count of guests and cars, orient and direct guests as needed, and take payment for tours as may be needed.
- Maintain phone contact with Reservations to keep updated on any last-minute changes in reservations.
- Maintain radio contact with Tour Facilitators (lead docents) to update them on last-minute changes in reservations, late guest arrivals or any other tour irregularity.
- Maintain radio contact at all times with docents, in order to respond to any emergencies related to guests or docents.
- Be prepared to respond immediately to all guest emergencies and handle them in a calm, courteous, professional and efficient manner. This may include assisting guests who are having a medical emergency.
- Operate the main gate for entry of guests and the back gate for entry of docents coming to lead tours.
- Monitor activity in the parking lot.
- Perform all duties to close the gardens at the end of the tour day, such as: collect radios and charge for next day, collect any keys previously issued, assist the Garden Shop with closing sales and also assisting guest with their departure, closeout and collect all cash registers and deposit in the main office, inspect the Visitor Center for any security or building issues, close and lock up the Visitor Center, canvas the gardens for any security issues related to guests, and handle them in a courteous, professional manner.
- Administrative duties include, but are not limited to: assist the Garden Shop staff with sales or pre/post tour information as needed; assist Membership with sales, stuffing envelopes, and other minor tasks; assist Reservations with contacting docents to schedule them for tours or remind them of their tour schedule for the upcoming tour days; assist in preparing the docent schedule; assist in stocking Garden Shop inventory.
Essential Requirements (Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities):
Because the Visitor Services Gate Manager creates the first impression of Lotusland, the successful candidate must be good-natured, friendly and courteous, calm and professional, and must have excellent customer service and communication skills, and conduct themselves appropriately in dealing with people at all levels of the organization. In addition, must be:
- Able to work well independently, as well as in cooperation with other staff and volunteers; must be a good team player and able to follow instructions, policies and procedures.
- Able to remain calm under pressure when dealing with people or with an emergency situation, and must be able to make sound and appropriate decisions quickly and accurately.
- Able to assist others in distress, quickly, calmly, sensitively, and effectively.
- Always looking neat and professional at all times, with an appearance that appropriately represents Lotusland, including the established dress code consisting of Lotusland issued polo or T-Shirt, acceptable dress slacks, Bermuda style shorts or skirt (no shorter than knee length) in either black, khaki, navy, tan or white, and closed toe shoes. Denim, athletic sportswear and leggings are not acceptable.
- Able to communicate in the English language by phone and two-way radio.
- Able to multi-task with concurrent duties.
- Computer literate with experience on a PC and databases, and sensitive to confidential information.
Education, Credentials and Experience:
Associate’s degree in a field related to customer service, sales, or human studies is desirable; experience in a customer service role is required; experience working in a security field is also desirable; experience working with a non-profit organization, particularly a cultural organization, is desirable. Must have a valid driver’s license. Must have proven experience handling security issues and medical emergencies. CPR and first aid experience is required, and up-to-date training and certification will be required. Must be reliable and willing to work every day, seasonally from mid-February through mid-November, Wednesday through Saturday.
Indoors, in a small gatehouse, within the garden setting of Lotusland.
Outdoors, in the gardens, subject to weather.
Constant engagement with the general public, staff, and volunteers.
Frequent standing and sitting, walking and climbing steps in the gardens, and bending with occasional lifting of light to moderately heavy loads (50 lbs).
Seasonal/Part time work – Wednesday through Saturday, mid-February through mid-November.
The Visitor Services Gate Manager must be able to perform each requirement of the position as outlined in the job description. Essential Requirements are representative and are essential for satisfactory job performance. The Work Environment characteristics are representative of those that may be encountered while on the job. Lotusland will make reasonable accommodations to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the position.
Compensation DOE without benefits. Ganna Walska Lotusland is an equal opportunity employer.
Please send resume with cover letter and three references to:
Elizabeth Rosas, Human Resources Manager
Ganna Walska Lotusland
695 Ashley Road
Santa Barbara, CA 93108