Title: Sustainability Assistant
Classification: Part Time (20 hours per week) Non-Exempt
Department: Gardens & Facilities
Reports To: Manager of Sustainability
Position Summary for Sustainability Assistant
- Pay $20/hour
- Takes direction from the Manager of Sustainability
- Works generally M-F 20 hours a week during time frame in the hours between 7 AM – 3:30 PM on a schedule that may vary and as agreed with Supervisor
- Helps in all aspects and implementation of plant healthcare and regenerative / sustainable programs in the Garden
- Works to improve habitat for biodiversity and wildlife management.
- Schedule compost and compost tea applications, providing instruction and assistance as needed
- Make Compost Tea Daily and stock materials
- Maintain pesticide program in compliance with state and federal law – Expand all the components
- Plant, Pest, and Soil Applications/treatments in compliance with pesticide program
- Maintain rodent abatement program
- Monitor and maintain inventory (compost tea supplies, herbicide, pesticides mulch etc.). Coordinate ordering materials as necessary
- Attend classes and maintain Qualified Applicator License
- Maintain up-to-date database files on applications to the garden
- Maintain Insectaries
- Coordinate maintenance of native low water plant habitats
- Qualified Applicator License or ability to obtain QAL license within 6 months of hire
- AS degree in biology or a demonstrated and elevated level of proficiency in the performance of advanced skills required of a professional gardener, with a minimum of two years’ experience in a public garden. (Note: Education, demonstration of skills and/or comparable experience in a botanical display garden or similar institution may substitute)
- Must be able to follow both verbal and written instructions.
- Demonstrated ability to organize daily work schedule and complete work assigned
- Must be able to work in adverse weather and environmental conditions as well as uneven terrain
- Must be able to lift and carry 50 pounds
- Requires a California driver’s license
- Develops insectary plans in conjunction with Curation and expands hedgerows surrounding property as time and resources permit
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to communicate via radio, phone/text and email.
- Ability to communicate basic and scientific information orally and in writing as well as understand written communication.
- Basic computer skills with office software and email applications.
- Must have demonstrated skills and/or certificate, licensing in one or more of the following areas: arboriculture, pesticide handling and application, power tool operation, heavy equipment operation, tractor operation, irrigation management and distribution systems, general horticulture including soil/water relationships, plant identification, and safe work practices
- The Gardener must be able to perform each requirement of the position as outlined in the job description. Essential Requirements are representative and are essential for satisfactory job performance. The Work Environment characteristics are representative of those that may be encountered while on the job, outdoors daily in varied Garden locations on property and according to duties. Lotusland will make reasonable accommodations to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the position.
Lotusland is an equal opportunity employer.
To apply, please send:
Your resume with a cover letter or e-mail
and three professional references to HR@lotusland.org