Full-Time, hourly, non-exempt FLSA
This is a regular full-time (40 hour/week) position. Schedule is typically Tuesday – Saturday and additional days on which the garden is open. Additional afternoon and weekend hours may be required.
Member and Visitor Services Department
Reports to Director of Member and Visitor Services
Are you looking to be part of a dynamic team, while working in a beautiful setting? Ganna Walska Lotusland is a non-profit botanical garden in Montecito, California, and renowned as a top garden of the world.
About the position:
The Membership Manager is responsible for ensuring each member’s desire to engage more deeply with Lotusland by providing exceptional member experiences from entrance to exit.
The Membership Manager builds Lotusland’s membership program, budget, and strategy. They manage accurate membership records and plans, coordinates, promotes and analyzes member events/activities. The Membership Manager must display a strong understanding of philanthropy. They will partner with the organization’s Reservations Office, kiosk attendants, and the Garden Shop to grow and optimize the Garden’s membership program.
The use of technology, data collection, and reporting are key abilities for this position. Experience with Salesforce products is preferred.
The Membership Manager will be positive, loyal, and a proud ambassador of the Ganna Walska Lotusland brand.
- Evaluate, develop, and build the membership strategic plan. Work in coordination with the Executive Director, Director of Member and Visitor Services, and Director of Finance to ensure compliance with approved budgets while meeting department goals of upgrading members.
- Serve as the primary point-of-contact for membership inquiries, including all telephone and email correspondence directed toward the membership office regarding new memberships, renewals, upgrades, replacement cards, and other tasks as needed.
- Participate in Moves Management: Effectively communicate potential donor households to the Development team.
- Plan, coordinate, and implement lively and engaging member activities with Special Events team, including but not limited to: previews, trips, behind the scenes, and other activities designed to encourage growth in membership as needed.
- Collaborate with Marketing and Communications team on membership marketing plan, including invitations, general solicitation, promotions, and special events as needed.
- Write copy for member invitations, monthly membership emails, promotional materials, and membership-related events on the website as needed.
- Contribute to the migration of member data between databases while ensuring a high level of customer service during the transition process.
- Process memberships in Salesforce and mail acknowledgements (membership information with tax receipt).
- Maintain membership information and documentation including Salesforce database, hard copy files, and correspondence.
- Manage monthly membership renewal communications (letter and emails).
- Create monthly membership financial reports.
- Provide and present membership information for Board Meetings and Annual Report.
- Work with Visitor Services to ensure proper training on membership program, policies, procedures, and strategies to increase on-site sales.
- Maintain visitor conversion rate reports.
- Plan and implement annual membership drive, direct mail, and email campaigns.
- Create and maintain accurate membership mailing lists for member publications, invitations, etc.
- In coordination with Visitor Services, handle all membership requests, inquiries, or complaints in a timely manner.
- Train and oversee membership interns and volunteers in database entry, membership processing, and other assignments as needed.
- With the help of other staff and volunteers, maintain and verify the cleanliness and readiness of the Garden, exhibit spaces, the visitor center, and kiosk areas for member attendance and events as needed.
- Participate in regularly scheduled staff meetings and trainings.
- Adhere to Garden policies and procedures.
- Proactively solve any concern or complaint to provide a solution.
- Maintain sensitivity and confidentiality regarding member and visitor
- Actively seek and suggest improvements to the visitor experience.
- Perform general administrative support as needed for the Visitor & Member Services Department.
- Demonstrate confidence, self-motivation, and a passionate commitment to Lotusland.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Essential Requirements (Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities):
- Quick problem-solving, flexibility, and ability to work collaboratively with staff in other departments and serve as a role model of outstanding customer service.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of all membership information.
- Enthusiastic and outgoing personality with high level of customer service and sales skills is expected.
- Must have excellent communication skills with the ability to interact and integrate with a variety of people and develop positive relationships.
- Strong organizational skills, self-motivation, attention to detail, and creativity in reaching potential members are necessary.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office/Office 365 (Word, Excel, Outlook, Power Point)
- Database experience/experience with a CRM/ticketing or reservations system – Salesforce products preferred.
- Ability to answer telephone calls, emails, letters, and website questions in a timely manner, prioritizing responses as needed.
- Experience working with mailing-houses, the bulk mail unit as well as printers, and graphic designers.
- 3-5 years related experience in areas of nonprofit, membership, development, sales or marketing preferred.
- Ability to politely interface with the public.
- Ability to handle periods of high volume visitation followed by slow periods when necessary to complete work.
- Must have excellent attention to detail and demonstrate the ability to multi-task.
- Ability to work in a shared workspace and to interact in a cooperative manner with staff and volunteers.
Education & Experience:
- The ideal candidate will have a bachelor’s degree and experience working in a non-profit, equivalent fundraising/membership organization, or data-driven sales-based organization. Must have a valid driver’s license and reliable transportation.
- The successful candidate will be subject to and must pass a background check.
- Highly proficient in the English language in person and by phone.
- General office environment within the garden setting of Lotusland
- The outdoor garden environment is subject to weather, dust, dirt and plant allergens.
- Constant engagement with the general public, staff, and volunteers by phone and in-person.
- Frequent work with computers (repetitive movement – typing), and heavy telephone use.
- Frequent standing, sitting, extended walking, climbing stairs and bending with occasional lifting of light to moderately heavy loads (25 lbs.)
The Membership Manager must be able to perform each requirement of the position as outlined in the job description.
Essential Requirements are representative and are essential for satisfactory job performance. The Work Environment characteristics are representative of what may be encountered while on the job. Lotusland will make reasonable accommodations to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the position. Lotusland is an equal opportunity employer.
The responsibilities and deliverables listed above are intended to describe the general nature and level of work to be performed by the individual in the position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities and/or skills. Other tasks may be assigned as needed.
This is a full-time, hourly non-exempt position with salary dependent on experience. Benefits include health insurance, vacation and sick leave as well as a 403(b) Retirement Plan and more.
Ganna Walska Lotusland is an equal opportunity employer.
Desired start date March 22, 2021 (or soonest possible). Open until filled.
To apply: Please send a resume with cover letter and three references to email@example.com
Ganna Walska Lotusland
695 Ashley Road
Santa Barbara, CA 93108
For more information, visit www.lotusland.org