Title: Kiosk Attendant & Garden Monitor
Classification: Non-Exempt Seasonal-mid February to mid-November part time position approx.16-18 hours per week
Schedule: The schedule is based on organizational needs and shifts are typically scheduled within the hours of 8:30 AM to 5:00 PM on Wednesdays- Saturdays with occasional additional times and days offered.
Department: Visitor Services and Public Programs
Reports to: Director of Visitor Services and Public Programs
Supervised by: Reservations Manager and Visitor Center Manager
Compensation: $17.00 per hour
This role is an important public facing position with the key areas of responsibility stationed at the entrance Kiosk during opening and closing hours. The role of the Garden Monitor is to roam the garden during public tours, regularly monitoring the collections to ensure they are secure and undisturbed, as well as to support and provide supervision of visitors, staff and other volunteers in the garden.
Specific Responsibilities for the Kiosk
- Occupy the Kiosk inside the Main Gate to provide the first line of hospitality and security for Lotusland.
- Operates the Main Gate for entry and exit of visitors.
- Communicates with Visitor Services, Reservations and Garden Shop regarding any accommodations for visitors.
- Perform all duties to prepare for the arrival of visitors at the beginning of the day to include: reviewing the Kiosk Report, conducts radio checks with Visitor Services and Volunteers.
- Organizes and tracks all data regarding visitor arrivals and departures; reports to the Reservations Manager
- Meets with Tour Facilitators and Visitor Services Manager to confirm reservations and coordinate tours as needed.
- Maintains radio contact and communicate changes to visitors including: late arrivals or cancellations.
- Responds to visitors needs in case of emergency or support in the garden.
- Comfortable working in an indoor, in a small gate house, within the garden setting of Lotusland.
- Will take the lead in addressing any emergencies involving guests and will assist in opening and securing the grounds at the end of each tour day
Specific Responsibilities for Garden Monitor
- Ability to work both independently as well as in cooperation with other staff and volunteers.
- Ability to remain calm under pressure.
- Maintains a balance of a professional demeanor with people-orientation and interpretative skills.
- Attends safety and educational trainings, CPR Training that is provided
- Good work ethic, a flexible and non-judgmental approach to people from a wide variety of backgrounds.
- Effectively communicates information about the garden, history, directions etc.
- Oversee the garden’s collections to ensure they stay safe, secure, and undisturbed by visitors.
- Responds to radio calls from volunteers who request assistance with visitors.
- Monitors visitors to ensure they adhere to the rules, which includes not touching or damaging the collections and leaving at the end of their two-hour tour.
- Knows the safety procedures for the garden and makes decisions about when to request additional support in case of emergencies.
- Able to drive Lotusland golf cart after completing training when necessary.
Previous Work Experience and Education:
- High School diploma or GED at minimum
- Familiarity with non-profit administration either through experience or education
- Constant engagement with the public, staff, and volunteers by phone and in-person.
- Reliability and willing to work seasonally for special events is required.
- Frequent standing, sitting, extended walking, climbing stairs and bending with occasional lifting of light to moderately heavy loads (25 lbs.)
The responsibilities and deliverables listed above are intended to describe the general nature and level of work to be performed by the individual in the position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities and/or skills. Other tasks may be assigned as needed.
Please provide a complete application for consideration:
- your resume
- cover letter and
- three references with phone and email contact information
- your schedule availability and/or limitations
To Lisa Stone, Director of Visitor Services and Public Programs