Title: Garden Monitor
Classification: Part-time / Temporary
Department: Visitor Services and Public Programs
Reports To: Visitor Experience Manager
Created: January 2022
Schedule: 12 hours/week regular schedule that could include Wednesday-Saturday 12:30PM-4:30PM or Saturday 8:30AM-12:30PM
Position Summary: As a garden monitor, you will spend your days engaging with visitors and volunteers as you rove one of the most beautiful botanic gardens in the world!
The primary roles of the Garden Monitor are to ensure the safety of the gardens, support the Volunteer Garden Attendants, and ensure the enjoyment of the visitors. The Garden Monitor position is highly active with two to five miles of walking per shift in all weather including heat, cold, and rain. This position is also highly interactive, and the right candidate is skilled at providing exceptional and friendly visitor engagement, while also enforcing policies including no touching the collections, no picnicking, and leaving at the end of their tour time. This person should be motivated to learn about the plants, landscapes and history of Lotusland.
To qualify, you must be able to commit to working a regular schedule of 12 hours/week from February 16 to November 15, 2022. The Garden Monitor is cross-trained to support coverage of the kiosk, visitor center, and reservations and is willing to work additional hours during special events and programs.
- Roves the gardens during public tour times and ensures
- Visitors are having an exceptional experience
- The garden’s collections are undisturbed
- Volunteer Garden Attendants are informed and supported in their work
- Assists with Check-In/Check-Out of Volunteer Garden Attendants
- Ensures all volunteers have a radio, it is turned on, and they know how to call and respond.
- Confirms volunteer duties and garden assignments
- Sanitizes radios between shifts and charges radios at the end of the day.
- Responds to calls for assistance from the Volunteer Garden Attendants
- Volunteers may call on the radio for assistance with garden coverage, problem visitors, or other challenges. The Garden Monitor will be the first line of staff support for Volunteer Garden Attendants.
- Communicates closely with Guest Experience Manager and Director of Visitor Services and Public Programs to ensure gardens are covered, policies are enforced, and issues are reported timely.
- Follows Lotusland’s Emergency procedures.
- Offers guidance to visitors, such as information or directions when asked.
- Knows the safety procedures for the garden. Makes decisions about when to request Kiosk support in case of emergencies.
- Drives a golf cart when necessary.
Essential Requirements (Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities):
- Must have exceptional visitor service skills.
- Must be able to walk two to five miles per shift across paved, dirt, and gravel terrain.
- Highly a highly motivated learner and interested in botany, horticulture, and/or history
- Highly proficient in the English language in person and by phone.
- High School diploma or GED.
- Visitor Services or equivalent experience
- Garden Monitor tasks are outdoors, in the gardens, subject to weather, dust, dirt and plant allergens. Standing and walking for up to 4 hours is required.
- Constant engagement with the general public, staff, and volunteers.
- Frequent standing, sitting, extended walking, climbing stairs and bending with occasional lifting of light to moderately heavy loads (25 lbs).
The Garden Monitor must be able to perform each requirement of the position as outlined in the job description. Essential Requirements are representative and are essential for satisfactory job performance. The Work Environment characteristics are representative of those that may be encountered while on the job. Lotusland will make reasonable accommodations to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the position. Lotusland is an equal opportunity employer.
To apply, send (3) items: Your resume, a cover letter and three references to: HR@lotusland.org.
No phone calls, please.
Lotusland is an Equal Opportunity Employer.