Are you looking to be part of a dynamic team, while working in a beautiful setting? Ganna Walska Lotusland, renowned as a “top ten” garden of the world, seeks qualified, passionate candidates to join our team.
This position is responsible to assist the Director of Education and Outreach with educational programming, including Open Pathways, on-site exhibitions, and educational trips.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist the Director of Education and Outreach with coordinating logistics of educational programming, including travel arrangements, making phone calls, sending e-mails, set up and break-down of educational events, and other duties as required.
- Assist with compiling and photocopying educational materials.
- Manage materials inventory; update and order educational supplies as needed.
- Contact organizations working with underserved or in-need Santa Barbara citizens to participate in the Open Pathways program and coordinate their visits.
Conduct 4th-Grade Outreach Program logistics, including travel arrangements and scheduling of classes with the teachers:
- Work with Director of Education and Outreach to recruit new schools to participate in the program.
- Contact schools and teachers for scheduling of classroom presentations; schedule docents for classroom presentations and tours throughout the academic school year; conduct classroom presentations when docents are not available. Act as Outreach Tour Facilitator on tour days.
- Coordinate preparations for the annual Teacher Reception, including set-up of displays of student art work, recruiting and scheduling of volunteer docents. Maintain ongoing relationships with school leaders and teachers.
- Coordinate preparations and planning of annual Appreciation Luncheon for Outreach docents.
- Attend docent training. Assist with docent recruitment, communication, and outreach.
Coordinate logistical activities for exhibits:
- Work with Director of Education and Outreach and guest curators to plan exhibit themes and schedules; assist in developing and creating labels and catalogues.
- Manage artist contracts and all artist communications.
- Arrange for and coordinate art deliveries and inventories, conduct condition inspections and reports.
- Work with events staff to plan and implement exhibit openings and showings.
- Track and manage art purchases and buyer information; arrange for delivery or pick up of sold pieces.
Coordinate logistics of educational trips and events
- Assist in making trip arrangements and help coordinate accommodation and transportation details.
- Assist with registration and set-up logistics of community events, such as Earth Day, Montecito Beautification Day and others.
- Manage guest reservations and coordinate guest needs.
MINIMUM EXPERIENCE/EDUCATION REQUIRED:
A passion for gardening and nature is required. Minimum 1-3 years of experience working in an administrative and supportive role. Experience as a volunteer and/or working with volunteers and children in both indoor and outdoor classroom settings desired. Prior experience with making travel arrangements and coordinating events, exhibits and educational trips is desired. Must be familiar with CA education standards, and familiarity with science education is desired. Minimum Associates degree in General Education or the sciences or related field and/or equivalent combination of training and experience.
ESSENTIAL REQUIREMENTS OF THE JOB:
Must own and be able to operate a reliable vehicle and possess a valid CA driver’s license.
Superior ability to represent Lotusland in a friendly and professional manner.
Highly effective verbal and written communication skills and telephone etiquette.
Highly effective organizational skills, with the ability to handle multiple tasks and logistics.
Ability to prioritize and manage to deadlines.
Exceptional interpersonal skills, and the ability to interface with diplomacy with all levels of the organization, including staff, docents, volunteers, trustees and donors, as well as with the school leaders, teachers and education colleagues.
Ability to analyze and solve problems, initiating and using sound judgment and a calm demeanor.
Detail oriented, with high level of accuracy and follow through.
Proficiency with computer and software applications (MS Office Suite including Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint.)
This is a part-time position, and the hourly rate is $ 18/hr.
Lotusland will make reasonable accommodations to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the position. Lotusland is an equal opportunity employer.
To apply please send cover letter and resume to Ruth Mesnik at firstname.lastname@example.org
No phone calls, please!