Ganna Walska Lotusland Employment Opportunity
Ganna Walska Lotusland, a non-profit, botanical garden in Montecito, California, seeks qualified candidates for a part-time Visitor Services Gate Manager position. This position is seasonal (mid-February to mid-November), and part time (approximately 18 to 20 hour work week, depending on season), and non-exempt.
The Visitor Services Gate Manager reports to the Director of Public Programs. The work place is the kiosk building inside Lotusland’s main gate/visitor entrance. The Visitor Services Gate Manager’s main responsibility is to manage the flow of traffic at the main gate and provide the first line of hospitality and security for Lotusland. The Visitor Services Gate Manager will also work closely with Reservations staff and trained volunteer docents to help coordinate daily guest tours and overcome any unforeseen problems with guest visits. The Visitor Services Gate Manager will be responsible for taking the lead in addressing any emergencies involving guests while they are on their tour, and will assist in securing the grounds at the end of each tour day.
Because the Visitor Services Gate Manager creates the first impression of Lotusland, the successful candidate must be good natured, friendly and courteous, calm and professional, and must have excellent customer service and communication skills, and conduct themselves appropriately in dealing with people at all levels of the organization. In addition, must be:
- Able to work well independently, as well as in cooperation with other staff and volunteers; must be a good team player and able to follow instructions, policies and procedures.
- Able to remain calm under pressure when dealing with people or with an emergency situation, and must be able to make sound and appropriate decisions quickly and accurately.
- Able to assist others in distress, quickly, calmly, sensitively, and effectively.
- Always looking neat and professional at all times, with an appearance that appropriately represents Lotusland and complies with the established dress code.
- Able to communicate in the English language in person, by phone, and by two-way radio.
- Able to multi-task with concurrent duties.
- Must have a valid driver’s license and reliable transportation. Lotusland is not accessible by public transportation.
Education, Credentials and Experience:
- Associate’s degree in a field related to customer service, sales, or human studies is desirable; experience in a customer service role is required; experience working in a security field is also desirable; experience working with a non-profit organization, particularly a cultural organization, is desirable.
- Must have proven experience handling security issues and medical emergencies. CPR and first aid experience is required, and up-to-date training and certification will be required.
- Must be reliable and willing to work 4-5 hours per day, four days per week, seasonally from mid-February through mid-November, Wednesday through Saturday.
- Indoors, in a small kiosk/gate house, within the garden setting of Lotusland.
- Outdoors, in the gardens, subject to weather.
- Constant engagement with the general public, staff, and volunteers.
- Frequent standing and sitting, walking and climbing steps in the gardens, and bending with occasional lifting of light to moderately heavy loads (50 lbs).
- Seasonal/Part time work – Wednesday through Saturday, mid-February through mid-November.
Compensation DOE $12-$14/hour with benefits.
Ganna Walska Lotusland is an equal opportunity employer.
Send resume with cover letter and 3 references to:
Director of Public Programs
Ganna Walska Lotusland
695 Ashley Road
Santa Barbara, CA 93108
For more information, visit www.lotusland.org